Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Level Two: Destiny Alpha

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the PlayStation E3 experience and one of the gifts was an alpha code to play Destiny. Firstly, I'd like to show off some Crucible gameplay to give an idea of how the game looks and also how it plays:




Though I dabbled in the other two classes, Titan and Warlock, I grew attached to the Hunter immediately. Each class is completely unique from the next, for one there are different grenade types, the Hunter has a sort of homing grenade as you can see at 1:30.

Also the Hunter has a specific "supercharge", when you get enough kills you can use the Golden Gun which has three shots and kills enemies instantly. It is an activated ability that is timed, it can be found in the first video at 2:00. Another ability of the hunter is the jump, it is just like a double jump which if timed correctly can get you to some pretty cool places.

Weapons of higher rarity are upgradeable with skill trees which is shown in the video below along with the menu in general and Guardian skills.


The game was beautiful and seamless, the only loading screens were when going to different planets, namely going to The Tower or entering the Crucible. The Tower acts as a hub, where it is possible to buy new weapons, new ships, and interact with other players. Not to mention get mail, etcetera, basic MMO layout when it comes to that.

I was able to play one mission, The Dark Within, in which I fought an enemy faction known as The Fallen. I also spent hours exploring the overworld, there were enemies with ? for levels blocking certain paths that weren't meant to be explored which of course made them all the more enticing. My friend was playing on my account and discovered this Ogre:




With only a portion of the map to explore and one type of Crucible match, Control, I still managed to spend at least twenty hours playing it. Exploring was neat, but I really enjoyed the strikes which focus more on teamwork and tactics. You can't just run headfirst into battle firing shots everywhere, and that is something I can appreciate. In the Alpha there was The Devil's Lair strike in which there is basically three parts. The first is when Ghost must hack into a console while waves of Fallen attack, the second is a giant six-legged mech that takes some time to defeat. Third is the objective, Sepiks Prime, a giant orb with a weak spot in the center of his purple "eye/laser".

During my exploration I accepted a few objectives from beacons scattered around the world, each one was pretty different but basically revolved around killing some sort of Fallen. Gameplay was smooth and elegant, of course the storyline was a bit shrouded but that is to be expected. I also spent quite some time exploring character customization which produced this:




I spent quite some time on this game and I can honestly say it is living up to what I envisioned.

Congratulations! You completed Level Two!


Starside
Trophy (Or Achivement if thats how you roll) Unlocked!


No comments:

Post a Comment